Saturday, February 19, 2011

Just like everyone else.

For some reason civilians get the impression, mainly from media, that servicemembers are superhuman. This is not even close to being true. I was recently reminded of this by a guy that I want to basic with. I'm a journalist, so I'm not really what you would call a highly motivated killer, but I can still kick some ass if need be. Anyway, I was talking to my friend who just got into Special Forces, and I couldn't help but remember he has to piss every 30 minutes, is terrified of heights and wears glasses as thick as a phonebook. I don't know how he got in, but he did. So, I guess the point my whole diatribe is that don't ever think you aren't good enough for military service. Because somewhere out there someone is waiting to turn you into a death machine.

15 comments:

Nik Mekeena said...

very interesting message

Anonymous said...

He doesn't sound like the type you would expect to do that, but I suppose looks can be decieving.

Rabidmoose said...

Yeah I agree a few guys from my High School that I couldn't imagine in uniform decided to serve, if you have the will to make it happen it will.

Public Confessions said...

or a dead machine.
what

are you thankful for?

Jordan said...

good for him!

Anonymous. said...

I wish i actually was good enough :(

Samuel said...

the image of the super soldier is represented by the media but its mostly probably to give others hope about things and to show that they are heroes, which of course soldiers are.

D. said...

servicemembers are not superhumans, I agree with that

T. Banacek said...

That's good advice although I've known some SOF guys who scared the hell out of me.

Bassislv said...

you're not a superhuman? what a disappointment

Candlej- said...

maybe we feel safer thinking the people in the military are all deadly neo-spartan Bruce Waynes? i know i do...

randomramblingggg.blogspot.com

Brut said...

Very inspirational haha

Patti D. said...

I think it's all a matter of willpower and believing in yourself.

Bruce said...

They break you and then fix you in their own way

King Artur said...

The military always needs some more grunts to send in first anyways

Post a Comment